Malibu Inn Motel
Updated 4/25/23 - On April 17, 2023, the Planning Commission postponed the public hearing on the Motel project environmental document and project entitlements to a Special Meeting to be held virtually on May 31, 2023. A staff report will be published in advance of the meeting. The hearing was previously postponed to allow the applicant more time to comply with the Memorandum of Understanding between the City and Regional Water Quality Control Board.
Based on the required entitlements and because no code amendments are required, the project only requires a hearing before Planning Commission. The project is subject to a local appeal period and is within the Appeal Jurisdiction of the California Coastal Commission. If the project is not appealed, the Planning Commission's decision will be final.
The Malibu Inn Motel, proposed to be located at 22959 Pacific Coast Highway, is for the construction of a new 7,693 square foot motel above a new subterranean parking garage, surface parking lot, grading, retaining walls, landscaping and a new onsite wastewater treatment system; including variances for non-exempt grading in excess of 1,000 cubic yards per acre of commercial development, construction on slopes steeper than 2.5 to 1, surface parking within the required front yard setback, and retaining walls in excess of six feet in height, a site plan review for a building height in excess of 18 feet, not to exceed 28 feet for a pitched roof, a conditional use permit for a new commercial development over 500 square feet and a motel in the CV-1 zoning district, and for a Joint Use Parking Agreement to share parking spaces with the adjacent lot to the east.
- Regional Water Quality Control Board Resolution No. R14-003-Table 4-zz
- Regional Water Quality Control Board Reconsideration of Table 4-zz (January 2014)
Based on the required entitlements, the project only requires a public hearing before the Planning Commission because no code amendments are required. The project is subject to a local appeal period and is within the Appeal Jurisdiction of the California Coastal Commission. If the project is not appealed, the Planning Commission's decision will be final.
To view instructions on how to view or participate in a meeting, visit malibucity.org/virtualmeeting.
- April 17, 2023 Planning Commission - Staff Report (Item 5B)
- January 11, 2022 Planning Commission - Staff Reports (Items 1A & 1B)
- December 6, 2021 Planning Commission - Staff Reports (Items 4D & 4E)
- November 1, 2021 Planning Commission - Staff Reports (Items 4A & 4B)
- September 8, 2021 Planning Commission - Staff Reports (Items 4C & 4D)
- August 26, 2021 Planning Commission - Meeting Adjourned (Public Notice and Staff Report)
To sign up for e-notifications with information related to this project, email your contact information to the Planning Department.
CEQA - Environmental Review
- Final Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration
- Draft Initial Study and Mitigated Negative Declaration
REQUEST TO REVIEW RECORDS
Anyone interested in reviewing records for this project may submit a request using the City's online public records portal - NextRequest. You will be prompted to set up your account and then submit your request.