Public Counter hOurs

The Planning Department public counter is open for general services from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Woolsey Fire Rebuild counter hours are from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, Tuesday and Thursday. The City contract biologist counter hours are from 9:00 AM to 11:00 am on Tuesday. 

City Department Counter Hours & Contact Information

General Inquiries & Questions - Email

NEW Planning submittal process 

Planning applications and revised plans and documents for an existing application can now be submitted online

The Planning Online Submittal Portal allows applicants to: 

  • Request a Submittal Checklist and Fees for New and Revised Submittals and Submit a Pre-Submittal Questionnaire, if needed 
  • Request to Submit a New Planning Application
  • Request to Submit Revised Plans and Documents for an Existing Application (See new protocol below.)
  • Request a Substantial Conformance Review 

Once your request is received, staff will provide you a submission link to upload documents. 

The New Planning Submittal Guide is a step-by-step guide on what you can expect in the e-submittal process. 

Your feedback is important to us! Feedback for this new submission process can be submitted here. 

NEW Revised Submittal Protocol - The Planning Department is implementing a new protocol to streamline the routing of revised plans and documents to City Departments.  Day forward, applicants will only be able to re-submit revised plans or documents once all Departments have reviewed the project, with the exception of the Planning Department. This new protocol will reduce the amount of unnecessary reviews conducted by each Department and may save applicants fees and time.

AppealsEvent Permits
Short-Term Rental AppealSpecial Event Permit
Appeal of Coastal Development PermitTemporary Use Permit
Appeal of Non-CDP
Request to Review Admin. Plan Review

*May be submitted during regular City Hall hours. No appointment required. 

Archaeology ClearanceSign Permit
Generator PermitSolar Permit
Home Occupation PermitTemporary Housing Permit
Over-the-CounterTime Extension 
Planning ClearanceTobacco Retailer Registration
Primary View DeterminationVehicle Impact Protection Device
Outdoor Lighting Review (Dark Sky Compliance)


Express Tenant Improvement Plan Check appointments are available on Wednesdays only. Appointments will be conducted at City Hall. After your appointment request is approved, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for the appointment. 

The appointment will be cancelled if Applicant is more than 10 minutes late. The appointment will be cancelled if Applicant fails to bring any of the required documents:

  • Plan Check Submittal Review: One set of Architectural and Structural Drawings (prior to electronic submittal)
  • View the Express Plan Review Process for details.

 *A Planning Clearance and tenant improvement may be processed concurrently during the appointment. 


To submit a wireless applications, follow the below steps:

1. Email a set of project plans with a detailed scope of work. Once received, a staff member will provide you a submittal checklist outlining the application materials and fees required. 

2. Once you are ready to submit, schedule an in-person or virtual appointment by emailing Appointments are held on Mondays and Tuesdays at 2:00 PM and 3:00 PM. 

3.  After you request an appointment via email, you will be asked to share a link with the attached submittal checklist, and any required documents on that checklist, saved as separate PDF files. 

4. Appointment - During the appointment, a staff member will evaluate if all your application submittal is complete. If it is determined complete, payment options will be provided to you. See Payment information section below. 


In-Person Payments

To make a payment in person by cash, check, or credit card, visit the public counter between the hours of 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

E-Payment by Credit Card

To pay Planning, Biology, or Code Enforcement fees online by credit card, email

Payment by Check

Mail checks along with the statement provided by staff to: City of Malibu, Planning Department, 23825 Stuart Ranch Rd, Malibu CA 90265.