Planning Department update
We hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during the current COVID-19 situation.
The Planning Department is continuing to provide services, although the means of providing them has changed and there may be delays on some things. The declared emergency is an evolving situation and as a result the Planning Department is working to adapt to this situation. Please check this web page regularly for updates on planning services.
Planning Department staff has developed alternative solutions which are being reported here as they are implemented. Please monitor this site for the latest information.
Announcements as of April 30, 2020
• NEW Counter Services - To submit information on an existing application or fire rebuild, contact your Case Planner directly via email or direct City Hall extension – both are being monitored remotely by the planners. To pay fees, see the "How do I Pay Outstanding Fees" under FAQs below. To contact planning staff for general inquiries, call (310) 456-2489, extension 485 and leave a message with your contact information. Additionally, you can also email inquiries to email@example.com. Staff is checking and responding to messages throughout the day during regular business hours.
• New Hours - All Planning staff are currently working Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. All Case Planners are working remotely on existing applications. You may email your Case Planner directly (staff directory). Your Case Planner will return your message by phone or email.
• Fire Rebuilds - Staff continues to process fire rebuild projects. Contact Aakash Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-456-2489, ext. 379 to submit your planning application. You may also submit your Woolsey Fire fee waiver request and refunds to Aundrea Cruz.
• Planning Actions & Notices - The Planning Director is issuing approvals (such as administrative plan reviews) for existing applications using an electronic format and mailing out associated notices.
• Planning Commission - The Planning Commission meetings will be held via teleconference. Please review the agenda on how to view and how to sign up to speak during meeting.
• City Biologist - The City Biologist continues to review projects, issue determinations, and conduct inspections. Contact the City Biologist at email@example.com or at 310-456-2489, ext. 277 to schedule your final inspection.
Planning Department FAQs during COVID-19 City Hall closure:
NEW - How can I submit a new project application?
At this time, the Planning Department is focused on processing fire rebuilds and existing applications and is only accepting new applications related to emergencies or replacement of structures lost in the Woolsey Fire. We originally expected to be able to take in new project applications after a transition time but due to budget constraints and loss of contract staff, this remains on hold. New application submittals will be accepted on an appointment-only basis as soon as City Hall is able to re-open.
Contact Aakash Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org or 310-456-2489, ext. 379 to submit your planning application for a fire rebuild. For other applications related to emergencies, email email@example.com. For existing applications, contact your Case Planner directly via phone or email (both are being monitored remotely by the Planners).
NEW - How do I pay outstanding fees?
E-Payment by Credit Card - To pay fees related to a Planning application or Code Enforcement case by credit card, please email the following information to the Planning Cashier at firstname.lastname@example.org: case project number(s), project address, fees that will be paid, and the payee’s information (First Name, Last Name, Address, and email address). Once received, you will be provided instructions on how to pay your fees online.
Payment by Check – Mail checks along with the statement provided by staff to Planning Department, c/o Patricia Salazar, 23825 Stuart Ranch Road, Malibu, CA 90265.
NEW - Is the Planning Department requiring documents to be notarized?
Recorded Documents - Documents that require recordation with the County Recorder’s Office require notarization. This requirement cannot be waived. Staff is currently able to process the recording of documents electronically. Contact your assigned Case Planner for more information.
Affidavit of Acceptance of Conditions - Due to the nature of this document, a notarized copy is required to be submitted to the Planning Department.
Letter of Authorization to Submit an Application - To eliminate delays in submitting applications, the City will accept a Letter of Authorization without notarization. However, the application cannot be deemed complete until a notarized version is submitted to the Planning Department.
How do I file an Appeal of a Planning Director or Planning Commission action?
A decision of the Planning Director or Planning Commission may be appealed by an aggrieved person by written statement setting forth the grounds for appeal. An appeal shall be filed with the City Clerk within ten days following the date of action (15 days for tentative maps) for which the appeal is made and shall be accompanied by an appeal form and filing fee, as specified by the City Council. Appeals should be emailed to email@example.com and the filing fee mailed to: Malibu Planning Department, Attn: Patricia Salazar, 23825 Stuart Ranch Rd, Malibu, CA 90265. Payment must be received within 10 days of the appeal deadline. Appeal forms are available at malibucity.org/planningforms. If you are unable to submit your appeal via email, contact Patricia Salazar at 310-456-2489,, ext. 245 at least two business days before your appeal deadline to arrange alternative delivery of the appeal.
How do I file a Time Extension Request for a Planning Approval?
A time extension request must be timely received by the Planning Department either by mail or in person prior to the expiration date listed on the Planning Director Notice of Decision or Planning Commission Resolution. Email your Time Extension Request to firstname.lastname@example.org and mail the filing fee, of $506.00 to: Malibu Planning Department, Attn: Patricia Salazar, 23825 Stuart Ranch Rd, Malibu, CA 90265. Payment must be received within 10 days of expiration date. Time Extension Request forms are online at malibucity.org/planningforms. If you are unable to submit your form via email, contact Patricia Salazar at 310-456-2489, ext. 245, at least two business days before your expiration date to arrange alternative delivery of the extension request.
I received a public notice mailer. How do I submit my comments?
You may contact the Case Planner listed on the notice directly via email or call 310- 456-2489, ext. 485, and a planner will return your call.
How do I submit comments or participate in an upcoming Planning Commission meeting?
Written comments may be submitted electronically to PlanningCommission@malibucity.org before the meeting begins.
To participate in an upcoming Planning Commission meeting, check the posted meeting agenda. The public may also participate telephonically to provide oral comments; information regarding participating telephonically or electronically will be posted on the meeting agenda at MalibuCity.org/AgendaCenter. Each speaker is limited to three minutes.