National Preparedness Month
September is National Preparedness Month, and the Public Safety Office will host a variety of free events to encourage the public to get prepared for disasters.
Following each event, links to video, if available, as well as any presentations offered, will be listed below for future viewing and reference.
ANNUAL COMMUNITY FIRE SEASON BRIEFING, THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 6:00 PM
All residents, employees, business and organization leaders, students and other Malibu community members are urged to attend the annual Community Fire Season Briefing being held virtually on Thursday September 23 at 6:00 PM. LA County Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Drew Smith, a Fire Behavior Analyst, will give a presentation on local Live Fuel Moisture, expected weather patterns, and what that means for fire conditions in Malibu. The meeting can be viewed live or later on-demand, and questions can be submitted in advance or during the briefing. RSVP on the Eventbrite page for the video link. There is a limit of 100 participants. Video of the event will be posted publicly afterward.
Annual Public Safety Expo, saturday, october 2, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Malibu City Hall (in-person, outdoors) 23825 Stuart Ranch Road, Malibu
Click for map and directions
Learn how to prepare your family, home, business, school or organization for wildfires, earthquakes and other disasters.
- Crisis First Aid training (FREE. 10:00 AM, 11:00 AM, 12:00 PM)
- Emergency preparedness equipment vendors
- Volunteer opportunities
See Emergency and Public Safety Teams
- LA County Animal Control – Command Post Trailer, ATV
- Sheriff’s Dept. - Bomb Squad Truck, K9 Unit, Search and Rescue Truck, disaster Communications Truck, Station Deputy and Patrol Car, CSI Fingerprinting and Car
- September 2, 2:00 PM, September 13, 6:30 PM, September 16, 10:00 AM – PSPS Training for Seniors and At-Risk Adults: The City will provide free virtual training for seniors 55 years and older and at-risk adults about how to prepare for and respond to Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS). A free backup battery is available to participating Malibu residents, who complete the training, a quiz and provide a copy of their photo ID (limit one per household, while supplies last). The training is open to all, but the backup battery is available only to Malibu residents. Residents can RSVP for the free virtual training on MalibuSafety.Eventbrite.com.
September 7September 9, 4:00 PM - Test of Everbridge Disaster Notification System: The City of Malibu's annual test of its Disaster Notification System, Everbridge, as part of National Preparedness Month that was scheduled for September 7, is canceled and rescheduled to Thursday, September 9, 4:00 PM in consideration of the Jewish holiday. The City will send a Citywide test message using the Everbridge Disaster Notification system which the City has been using for several years. Residents do not have to register to participate or take any special action prior to the system test. If you do not receive the test message or would like to update your Everbridge information please contact the Public Safety office at PublicSafety@MalibuCity.org.
- September 9, 10:30 AM, September 23, 3:30 PM – Home Wildfire Hardening Seminar: The Fire Safety Liaison will teach residents about the dangers of flying embers that can rain down on a home and property during a wildfire, a leading cause of home igniting and burning down during wildfires. If these embers land in receptive fuels or become lodged in something easily ignited on or near a house, the home may be in jeopardy of burning. There are often simple and inexpensive ways to harden a home against flying embers, and taking action ahead of time can substantially reduce the ember threat. Residents can RSVP for the free virtual seminar on MalibuSafety.Eventbrite.com.
- September 11, 9:00 AM - Free Spanish Language Emergency Preparedness Training: The City is partnering with the Malibu Foundation and the Malibu Labor Exchange to provide free Spanish language emergency preparedness training on Saturday, September 11 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Malibu Labor Exchange parking lot, located at 23595 Civic Center Way, adjacent to Malibu Library. Ensuring that non-English speaking people who live or work in Malibu have access to the City’s emergency information and emergency preparedness efforts is an important part of the City’s whole-community approach to emergency planning and are required under California law. Training will include Emergency Alerting Systems, Fire Extinguisher Use, Assembling an Emergency Go-Kit, and Bleeding Control and Heat Illnesses. Attendees will receive a free emergency hand-cranked radio and a first aid kit. Register in advance at: www.themalibufoundation.org/preparedness.
- September 15, 6:00 PM – Free Firescaping Workshop: The City is partnering with Los Angeles County Water Works District 29 and West Basin Municipal Water District to host a free, virtual firescaping workshop on Wednesday, September 15 at 6:00 PM. Participants will learn landscaping and property maintenance best practices that can help protect their properties from wildfires and improve resilience while reducing water use and benefiting the environment. The workshop is specifically geared toward the Santa Monica Mountains. Register online www.westbasin.org/firescaping.
- September 23, 6:00 PM – Annual Community Fire Season Briefing: All residents, employees, business and organization leaders, students, and other Malibu community members are urged to attend the annual Community Fire Season Briefing being held virtually on Thursday, September 23 at 6:00 PM. LA County Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Drew Smith, a Fire Behavior Analyst, will give a presentation on local Live Fuel Moisture, expected weather patterns, and what that means for fire conditions in Malibu. The meeting can be viewed live or later on-demand, and questions can be submitted in advance or during the briefing. Residents can RSVP for the event on MalibuSafety.Eventbrite.com.
- October 2, 10:00 AM – Public Safety Expo: Preparedness Month ends with the City's annual Public Safety Expo on Saturday, October 2, 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM at the City Hall parking lot located at 23825 Stuart Ranch Rd. At the Expo, residents can attend training, including Crisis First Aid, ask questions, find volunteer opportunities, learn about emergency preparedness services and products, and more. Participating organizations include public safety and emergency response partner agencies, volunteer organizations, and emergency services and products vendors. RSVP for the in-person classes online.
PAST PREPAREDNESS MONTH EVENTS
- Sheltering during COVID-19 (American Red Cross) - Presentation / Video
- Malibu's New Evacuation Zones (LA County Fire & City staff) - Offered twice Video (Meeting 1) or Video (Meeting 2)
- Disaster Plans & Emergency Kits (City staff) - Presentation
- Earthquake Preparedness & Home Hazards (City staff) - Presentation / Video
- Fire Season Briefing (LA County Fire) - Video
- Home Ignition Zone Seminar (LA County Fire & City staff) - Video
- Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS) (SCE) - Presentation / Video