What steps toward rebuilding can I take now?

City staff at the Rebuild Help Desk at City Hall is available to discuss your project; or view the rebuilding steps online. Staff recommends taking care of the following:

  • Confirm if your property is in the City of Malibu limits by visiting http://www.malibucity.org/gis. The Malibu city limits are indicated by a red line on this map. If your property is in unincorporated Los Angeles County, visit the County office at 26600 Agoura Road, Calabasas, CA 91302 during regular counter hours (Monday through Thursday, 7:00 AM to 11:00 AM), call 213- 974-0051, or email CoastalPermits@planning.lacounty.gov.
  • Contact a design professional to help you assess options and prepare construction plans. Visit MalibuRebuilds.org and select Contractors under the Rebuilding tab for ideas.
  • Research public records for your property – these will be needed to demonstrate what you are allowed to rebuild. Go to MalibuCity.org/PermitSearch for instructions on how to find permits and plans on file with the City.
  • Contact a City-registered practitioner to inspect your onsite wastewater treatment system (OWTS).
  • Contact the Los Angeles County Fire Department to confirm rebuild requirements, such as vehicular access and water pressure at 818-880-0341 or visit the County office at 26600 Agoura Road, #110, Calabasas, CA (8:00 AM to 12:00 PM Monday through Thursday, or 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM).

Show All Answers

1. How do I find existing permits for my destroyed or damaged structures?
2. What steps toward rebuilding can I take now?
3. How do I request a fee waiver or fee refund for a fire rebuild?
4. When is the deadline to apply to rebuild?
5. Am I able to stay on my property while I process an application to rebuild?
6. If I choose to rebuild or repair my home, what kind of permits will I need?
7. Do I need a permit to install erosion control devices for storm preparation?
8. Can I use any remaining structural elements?
9. What if I have no plans to rebuild?
10. If I sell my property, is the new owner able to take advantage of the expedited processes and exemptions?
11. What are the property rights if a Woolsey affected property is sold?
12. What if I have charred landscaping but no structural damage?
13. Am I able to install temporary fencing to secure my property?
14. What are some resources to keep informed?