mandatory evacuations in place for paseo canyon area in Malibu West Neighborhood
- Malibu Canyon from Malibu Crest Drive to Piuma Road
- Malibu Road between 24680-24712
- PCH from Broad Beach Road to Ventura County Line
- Kanan Dume Road between PCH and Mulholland Highway
- Decker Road (SR-23) northbound
- Rainsford Place
Flooded roadways - Use caution
- PCH at Trancas Canyon Road
- PCH at Morning View Drive
The Disaster Response and Recovery Ad Hoc Committee scheduled for today at 2:00 PM has been cancelled due to storm activity. Meeting will be rescheduled at a later date.
A Flash Flood Warning has been issued by the National Weather Service for Malibu and surrounding areas until 1:00 PM Saturday. Mud and debris flow possible. Take appropriate protective measures.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS) has issued a Flash Flood Watch for Los Angeles County which will remain in effect through early Sunday morning. Periods of heavy rain are expected Through all of Saturday with periods of heavy showers into early Sunday. There is an elevated risk of flash flooding with mud and debris flows. In addition, roadway flooding is likely, especially in low lying areas, along with rock and mud on canyon roads and below steep terrain.
Residents with properties that have limited access should maintain good situational awareness and monitor the condition of roadways closely. Do not attempt to cross flowing streams and never drive through flooded roadways. Streets may become flooded and impassible. Identify multiple exit routes out of your property. If you become trapped call 911 and seek high ground.
Flooded streets and mud and debris flows may block roadways for multiple days and access may be limited. Residents should have enough supplies to support themselves for at least 7 to 10 days.
These neighborhoods and streets are at high risk for potential mud and debris flow as they are adjacent to steep slopes or are located at the base of drainage areas:
- Trancas / Malibu West
- Malibu Park / Lower Zuma Creek
- Ramirez Canyon / Paradise Cove
- Latigo Canyon / Escondido Drive / Maguire Drive
- Malibou Lake / Cornell Road
- Old Agoura / Balkins Drive / Fairview Drive
- Oak Forest Mobile Estates
- Decker Canyon / Decker School Lane / Decker School Road
- Encinal Canyon from Lechusa to PCH
- Mulholland from Little Sycamore to PCH
Residents should take the following preparedness actions to keep themselves, their families and animals safe during this rain event:
- Create a Plan: Create an evacuation plan and identify a primary exit route and a secondary exit route, ensuring your vehicle has enough gas and working wipers. If you have animals, elderly family members, or special medical needs, make accommodations beforehand to expedite travel and shelter.
- Pack a Go-Kit: Be ready to evacuate by having an emergency kit ready and loaded in your vehicle, which should include items such as extra medication, important documents and warm clothing.
- Stay Informed: Keep aware of road closures, changing road conditions and any evacuation messages by watching local media coverage on television & radio, and following these Twitter handles: @CityMalibu, @CaltransDist7, @LASDHQ, @LHSLASD, @LACoFDPIO and @LACoPublicWorks.