City of Malibu and Malibu Foundation Partner to Offer Spanish Language Emergency Preparedness Training During National Preparedness Month - Saturday, Sept. 11 at Malibu Labor Exchange
The City of Malibu is partnering with the Malibu Foundation and the Malibu Labor Exchange to provide free Spanish language emergency preparedness training on Saturday, September 11, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Labor Exchange as part of the City’s National Preparedness Month activities.
“Disaster planning, preparedness, response and recovery must take into account all people in our community, whether they are residents, business owners, property owners, employees, students or visitors,” said Mayor Paul Grisanti.
Ensuring that non-English speaking people who live or work in Malibu have access to the City’s emergency information and emergency preparedness efforts is an important part of the City’s whole-community approach to emergency planning.
During recent wildfires in California, it was documented that some non-English speakers who were employees in the fire zones did not receive emergency alerts and information about evacuations and showed up at their workplaces as they normally would, putting their lives in danger.
The training takes place at the Malibu Labor Exchange parking lot, located at 23595 Civic Center Way, adjacent to Malibu Library.
Attendees will visit four training stations:
- Emergency Alerting Systems, attendees will learn how and when to respond to an emergency and receive one-on-one technical assistance in registering.
- Fire Extinguisher training, attendees will learn how and when to use a fire extinguisher
- Go-Kit, attendees will learn how to prepare an emergency kit
- Bleeding control and Heat Illnesses, attendees will learn how to stop and treat bleeding and how to protect against extreme heat illness.
Attendees who complete all four stations will receive free emergency preparedness supplies including a hand-cranked radio and first aid kit. Those who are attending are encouraged to register prior to the training at www.themalibufoundation.org/preparedness.
September is National Preparedness Month, and the Public Safety Office is hosting events all month to encourage community members to get prepared for disasters. Events include the City's annual Public Safety Expo, a test of the Disaster Notification System, and the annual Community Fire Season Briefing on local Live Fuel Moisture, expected weather patterns, and what that means for fire conditions in Malibu, and more. All of the events are listed at www.MalibuCity.org/PrepMonth.
For more information, call 310-456-2489, ext. 368 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CAPACITACIÓN EN PREPARACIÓN PARA EMERGENCIAS - EN ESPAÑOL
Participe en cuatro estaciones de información interactivas y reciba suministros gratuitos de preparación para emergencias sábado, 11 de septiembre de 2021, 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Ubicación: Malibu Community Labor Exchange, 23595 Civic Center Way, Malibu, CA 90265.
Complete las cuatro estaciones de información interactivas y reciba suministros gratuitos de preparación para emergencias, incluyendo un radio de manivela.
- Sistemas de alerta de emergencia: Aprenda cuándo y cómo responder a las alertas y reciba asistencia técnica para registrarse
- Capacitación sobre extintores de incendios: Aprenda cuándo y cómo usar un extintor de incendios
- Preparación del Go-Kit de Suministros: Aprenda a preparar un kit de emergencia esencial
- Primeros auxilios y apoyo: Aprenda los conceptos básicos de cómo controlar una hemorragia y cómo protegerse contra el calor extremo
Habrá burritos de desayuno y informacion gratuita
Preguntas? Llame Julissa Alvarado (323) 683-7073