COVID-19 SCHOOLS UPDATE – REOPENING PROTOCOLS FOR K-12 SCHOOLS, SM-MUSD VIRTUAL INFORMATION SESSION ABOUT INDEPENDENT STUDY OPTION
REOPENING PROTOCOLS FOR K-12 SCHOOLS
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health issued Reopening Protocols for K-12 Schools: Appendix T1 (Rev. 7/28/21) updates, highlighted in yellow.
- Reaffirms indoor masking requirement for everyone at K-12 schools regardless of vaccination status; customary exceptions apply.
- Revised testing recommendations to include vaccinated individuals after COVID-19 exposure and in surveillance testing programs, if testing capacity allows.
- In alignment with current Health Officer Order, employees exempt from wearing masks indoors must be tested at least twice per week.
- Clarified that mask is not required when individual is the only person present in a room or contiguous workspace.
- Confirms at this time, students granted a reasonable accommodation in the form of mask exemption due to a disability or other condition need not be excluded from in-person education. Strongly recommended that such students be tested for COVID019 at least twice weekly.
- Students who are excluded from campus because they will not wear a face covering should be offered alternative educational opportunities.
- Clarifies that physical distancing strategies are still recommended as long as they do not interfere with full-time attendance for all students.
- PE classes falls under the 100% masking requirement if class is held indoors.
- Updated exposure guideline to note that fully vaccinated individuals who are close contacts to a case do not need to quarantine but it is strongly recommended that such individuals be tested after exposure regardless of vaccination status.
Other pertinent information and resources can be found on the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health COVID-19 webpage.
SM-MUSD VIRTUAL INFORMATION SESSION ABOUT INDEPENDENT STUDY OPTION
The Santa Monica Malibu Unified School District (SM-MUSD) is holding a virtual information session about the SM-MUSD Independent Study option on Tuesday, August 3, 2021 at 6:00 PM. SM-MUSD is returning to in-person instruction for the 2021-22 school year with health and safety protocols in place as directed by the guiding agencies. The California Department of Education (CDE) has authorized school districts to return to full in-person instruction for the upcoming school year, with an alternative Independent Study option. Information session Zoom link. Video of the session will be posted on the website of all District schools on August 4. For more information, see the information sheet.