Household Hazardous & Electronic Waste
In order to protect public health and the environment, the State of California has banned certain types of waste from regular household or business trash. View a complete list of banned waste. Statewide household hazardous waste (HHW) collection data including universal waste is available on CalRecycle's website.
Malibu hosts HHW/E-Waste roundups on a bimonthly basis at City Hall. Free collection events hosted by Calabasas and Agoura Hills are open to residents.
All containers must be clearly labeled to identify the contents. Materials in containers with illegible labels, or leaking contents will be rejected.
Transportation Limit for Chemical Related Items:
It is against the law to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste to collection sites. Please pack your waste properly to prevent tipping or spilling of the waste during transportation. Most hazardous waste events require you to stay in your car while event staff unloads the materials.
- Electronic waste collection events and oil/paint roundups- City of Malibu's upcoming event dates
- HHW collection events- Open to Los Angeles County residents
- Battery Recycling at City Hall - drop off M-F during business hours
- Solvents/automotive/flammables/electronics (SAFE) - View all locations on this bilingual English/Spanish flyer
- Permanent collection centers are open to Los Angeles County residents
- Prescription medication and sharps - Los Angeles County Sheriff 24-hour drop off locations or find a collection location for National Prescription Drug Take Back Day
- Sharps and needles disposal - Drop off at County HHW Events or County Sheriff Stations or Los Angeles SAFE Centers
- Paint may be recycled for free at some regional retail stores. For program details and locations, visit the Paint Care website or call 855-724-6809.