Short-Term Rental Ordinance
On September 14, 2020, the City Council voted to schedule the Enforcement Ordinance (Ordinance No. 468) for second reading and adoption at the Council meeting on September 29, 2020. The effective date of the ordinance would be January 15, 2021. Ordinance No. 468 requires a new STR Permit in order to operate a short-term rental property and provides enforcement tools against nuisance properties while the Hosted STR ordinance is processed. The January 15, 2021 effective date is intended to allow sufficient time for the City and property owners currently renting their property on a short-term basis to prepare for the new STR permit protocols.
Also on September 14, 2020, Council directed that the Santa Monica-style “Hosted” STR Ordinance, which involves a Local Coastal Program (LCP) amendment and Zoning Text Amendment (ZTA) to the Malibu Municipal Code, to be updated and brought back to a future meeting (date to be determined), with the changes listed below:
- Allow guest houses to be used for short-term rental but require that a short-term rental permit designate only one specific unit on the single-family residence property to be listed;
- Require the property owner to be onsite during short-term rental except that a designated operator, other than the owner, is allowed to host short-term rentals for up to two months cumulatively per calendar year with two week notice to the City modifying the short-term rental permit;
- Require designated operator be present onsite between the hours of 9:00 PM and 6:00 AM during hosted short-term rentals;
- Allow one unit of a duplex to be rented short-term if the owner lives onsite in the other; and
- Allow up to 40% or up to two units maximum (whichever is fewer) of multifamily properties to be rented short-term if the other onsite units are rented long-term.
The “Hosted” ordinance would require the presence of an onsite host during most short-term rentals and the STR property be the primary residence of the property owner. If approved by City Council, the LCP amendment would have to be certified by the California Coastal Commission before the regulations could go into effect.
For more details, view the City Council August 10, 2020 and September 14 2020 staff reports, and the Planning Commission July 29, 2020 staff report, or watch the meeting videos at MalibuCity.org/VirtualMeeting.
CURRENT REGULATIONS & TRANSIENT OCCUPANCY TAX (TOT) INFORMATION
For information regarding the City’s current regulations regarding short-term rentals, contact Associate Planner Justine Kendall at 310-456-2489, ext. 301.
For information on the City’s current Transient Occupancy Tax program, contact the Finance Division at 310-456-2489.
REPORT A NUISANCE
Due to operational changes as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the City made changes to how residents can report a nuisance related to a short-term rental. Residents who wish to report a nuisance related to a short-term rental in their neighborhood may call the Short-term Rental Hotline at 310-456-2489 ext. 308 or email STR@malibucity.org. Residents can leave a message or send an email including the rental address, the nature of the nuisance, and any other pertinent details. Code Enforcement staff will respond to the calls the next business day. Residents needing more immediate assistance, should call the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station at 310-456-6652. As always, in an emergency, residents should call 911.
Community Meetings & Public Input
- City Council (September 14, 2020) Agenda & Staff Report
- City Council (August 10, 2020) - ZTA No. 17-002 - Agenda & Staff Report (see Item 4C) and Correspondence
- Planning Commission (July 29, 2020) - LCPA No. 19-003 Agenda & Staff Report and Correspondence
- Planning Commission (March 30, 2020) Notice of Public Hearing - CANCELLED
- City Council (December 3, 2019) Agenda & Staff Report
- City Council (October 28, 2019) and
- Administration & Finance Subcommittee (October 3, 2019) Financial Analysis on Implications & Potential Impacts of a Ban on Short-Term Rentals - Agenda Report and Consultant Presentation
- City Council (September 26, 2018) Agenda & Staff Report (See Item 4B), Draft Ordinance No. 436 and Council’s Changes to Proposed Ordinance
- City Council (July 9, 2018) Agenda & Staff Report (See Item 4A), Proposed Ordinance, and Council’s Changes to Proposed Ordinance
- Planning Commission (May 7, 2018) Planning Commission Recommendations (Resolution No. 18-26), Agenda & Staff Report (See Item 5C) and Correspondence received by May 7, 2018
- City Council (March 26, 2018) Notice of Public Hearing (Hearing cancelled and item remanded back to the Planning Commission)
- Planning Commission Hearing (November 20, 2017) Staff Report amd Draft Ordinance (Attachment 1)
- Zoning Revisions & Code Enforcement Subcommittee (May 23, 2017) Staff Report and Meeting Minutes
- City Council (October 10, 2016) Meeting Agenda & Staff Report (see Item 5B) and Meeting Minutes
- City Council (June 13, 2016) Staff Report
- City Council (February 8, 2016) Staff Report and Meeting Minutes
- City Council (November 9, 2015) Meeting Agenda & Staff Report (see Item 6B) and Meeting Minutes