- City Government
- Public Safety
- National Preparedness Month
National Preparedness Month
September is National Preparedness Month, and the Public Safety Office will host a variety of free events to encourage the public to get prepared for disasters.
Following each event, links to video, if available, as well as any presentations offered, will be listed below for future viewing and reference.
2022 Preparedness Month Events
Everbridge disaster notification system test message - Thursdays at 5:00 pm. no sign-up required
The City will send a weekly test message using the Everbridge Disaster Notification system, which the City has been using for several years for the most serious emergencies that threaten lives and properties, and evacuations. Each week, the City will send a test message to one of Malibu’s Evacuation Zones. Look up your Evacuation Zone. Most landlines and cell phone numbers with Malibu addresses are automatically entered into the system.
- Thursday, September 8, 5:00 PM – Evacuation Zone 11
- Thursday, September 15, 5:00 PM – Evacuation Zone 12
- Thursday, September 22, 5:00 PM – Evacuation Zone 13
- Thursday, September 29, 5:00 PM – Evacuation Zone 14
If you do not receive the test message, contact the Public Safety Office atPublicSafety@MalibuCity.org If you would like to update your Everbridge contact information, visit the online Everbridge portal and create a profile. For assistance, contact the Public Safety Office at PublicSafety@MalibuCity.org.
Annual Community Fire Season Briefing – Tuesday, September 13, 6:00 PM, via Zoom
All residents, employees, business and organization leaders, students, and other Malibu community members are invited to attend the annual Community Fire Season Briefing. Los Angeles County Fire Department Assistant Fire Chief Drew Smith, a Fire Behavior Analyst, will give a presentation on local Live Fuel Moisture, expected weather patterns, and what that means for fire conditions in Malibu. View the presentation or the recording of the briefing.
Earthquakes preparedness - Monday, September 19, 3:30 pm in the senior center. Wednesday, September 28, 6:00 PM, via Zoom.
Malibu is uniquely situated to be impacted by both local and distant earthquakes, so preparing now could lessen the impacts of earthquakes when they strike. The City will offer a free Earthquake Preparedness and Home Hazards Training led by Emergency Services Coordinator Sarah Kaplan to help ensure every home is as safe as possible in an earthquake. View the presentation or the recording of the presentation.
Home Hardening Meets Curb Appeal - Wednesday, September 21, 4:00 PM in the Multipurpose Room. Thursday, September 29, 6:00 PM, via Zoom
During a wildfire, millions of burning embers can rain down on your home and property like hail during a storm. If these embers land in receptive fuels or become lodged in something easily ignited on or near your house, the home may be in jeopardy of burning. Fire Safety Liaison Bradley Yocum leads a free presentation about how to harden the exterior of your home while choosing plants and materials that are both visually appealing and fire resistant. View the presentation or the recording of the presentation.
Spanish Language Emergency Preparedness Training – Saturday, September 24, 9:00 AM – 11:00 am, at the Malibu Labor Exchange
The City is once again partnering with the Malibu Foundation and Malibu Labor Exchange to provide free, in-person Spanish-language emergency preparedness training. Ensuring that non-English speaking people who live or work in Malibu have access to the City’s emergency information and emergency preparedness efforts is an important part of the City’s whole-community approach to emergency planning. No advanced registration is needed for this event.
Malibu Foundation Emergency Preparedness for Seniors - Wednesday, September 28m 11:00 AM, Senior Center
As part of National Preparedness Month, the Malibu Foundation is hosting a free emergency preparedness event for seniors in the Malibu community at the Malibu Senior Center. There will also be giveaways for attendees, including FEMA-approved emergency go-bags. Complementary lunch will be included.
Past Preparedness Month Events
Watch videos or view presentations from past Preparedness Month events (presenters listed in parentheses):
- PSPS Training for Seniors and Older Adults (City Staff) - Presentation
- Everbridge Notification System Test
- Home Wildfire Hardening Seminar (City Staff) - Offered twice Video (Meeting 1) or Video (Meeting 2)
- Spanish Language Emergency Preparedness Training (City Staff, Malibu Labor Exchange, Malibu Foundation, and Pepperdine University)
- Firescaping Workshop (Los Angeles County Water Works District 29 and West Basin Municipal Water District)
- Annual Fire Season Briefing (LA County Fire) - Video
- Public Safety Expo
- Sheltering during COVID-19 (American Red Cross) - Presentation/Video
- Everbridge Notification System Test
- Malibu's New Evacuation Zones (LA County Fire & City staff) - Offered twice Video (Meeting 1) or Video (Meeting 2)
- Disaster Plans & Emergency Kits (City staff) - Presentation
- Earthquake Preparedness & Home Hazards (City staff) - Presentation/ Video
- Fire Season Briefing (LA County Fire) - Video
- Home Ignition Zone Seminar (LA County Fire & City staff) - Video
- Public Safety Power Shutoffs (PSPS) (SCE) - Presentation/Video