Am I required to get a permit for a party at my home?

Effective April 24, 2008, a Special Event Permit is required in a residential zone for any 'large' event or for any event that has a "commercial component." A large event is any event at which 100 people or more are expected. "Commercial component" includes events where the house is being rented for the event or where there is advertising or fundraising.

Special Event Permit Requirements

Do I need a business license to do business in Malibu?

The City of Malibu adopted the Los Angeles County Code regarding business licenses. That ordinance lists those businesses that must be licensed. For additional information or for a business license application, contact the County Business License Office at 213-974-2011 or go to the County Treasurer's website.

If you plan to run a business out of your home, you must also comply with the Home Occupation Rules.

Does Malibu Have a Rent Control Law?

Malibu has rent regulations only with respect to mobilehomes. Refer to Chapter 5.16 of the Malibu Municipal Code.

If the property you rent is other than a mobilehome in an established mobilehome park, Malibu does not have any specific rent regulations. Your situation would be governed by the general California law. You may want to contact an attorney for information regarding your rights and responsibilities.

Malibu Municipal Code

Is the Malibu Pier open?

The Malibu Pier, owned and operated by California State Parks, celebrated its grand reopening on June 29, 2008. The pier is currently open to the public with services including restaurants, sport fishing boat excursions, private charter boats and pier fishing.

California State Parks - Malibu Pier

My neighbor is remodeling, how early may he begin work?

Construction is allowed between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. weekdays. On Saturdays, construction is allowed between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Construction is not allowed on Sundays and holidays.

To report a violation of these hours, you may contact the Code Enforcement Officer at 310-456-2489, ext. 359. On weekends or after hours, you may also contact the Malibu / Lost Hills Sheriff's Station at 310-456-6652.

When and where may I drop off oil and similar items for recycling?

The City hosts a bi-monthly Used Oil and Paint Roundup in February, April, June, August, and October on the third Saturday of the month at Malibu City Hall (23825 Stuart Ranch Rd). Used motor oil, oil filters, anti-freeze, latex paint, and car batteries are accepted.

An E-Waste Collection Event is held in conjunction with the bi-monthly roundup in February, April, June, August, and October. Items such as computer equipment, old cellphones, radios and TVs, household batteries, and compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFL) can all be safely recycled at this event.

Please do not drop these items anytime other than on the designated day and at the designated location. During rainy weather, these events are generally cancelled.

For more information, contact Environmental Programs staff at 310-456-2489, ext. 275.

When is City Hall open?

In accordance with Malibu Municipal Code Section 2.04.030, City Hall is open Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

View the holidays observed by City Hall.

Where can I have a wedding in Malibu?

If you want to have a wedding on a public beach (for example, Zuma Beach or Point Dume Beach), you need to obtain a permit from the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors. You can contact Beaches and Harbors at 424-526-7880.

If you want to have a wedding on a private beach or if you rent a private residence for your wedding, you will need the permission of the property owner and a Special Event Permit from the city. Contact the Planning Department at 310-456-2489, ext. 353 if you have further questions.

If you would like to hold your wedding at a city-owned park, contact the Parks and Recreation Department at 310-456-2489, ext. 363.

You must have obtain your marriage license prior to the ceremony. Marriage licenses are not issued by the City of Malibu - you must request it from the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder / County Clerk. For more information, including an online application, go to the County Clerk's website.

Where can I obtain a Marriage License?

Marriage licenses are not issued by the City of Malibu. Contact the Los Angeles County Registrar-Recorder / County Clerk.

I am moving to Malibu - who do I call to hook up utilities?

Contact information for the various utilities that service Malibu can be found on the

Malibu Utilities information page

Can I apply for a U.S. passport at City Hall?

Yes. Malibu City Hall is designated by the U.S. Department of State as an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility. Services offered include: processing of new applications or replacement of lost or stolen passports, requests for changes or amendments to a current passport, passport photos and more. For more information, including links to forms, current fees and instructions, go to the City Clerk's

Passport Acceptance Office.