Malibu residents will notice an increase in activity on and around the streets and intersections in the Civic Center area as several projects that will improve traffic safety and mobility begin to take shape. Work on the projects may involve temporary lane closures, with flaggers providing traffic direction when necessary. Motorists should proceed with caution through the work zones. (See map of all projects below.)
Traffic mitigations were mandated for commercial developments in the Civic Center area. Construction is expected to be completed in October 2018. All traffic signals will be synchronized to help improve traffic flow.
- PCH/Webb Way – Improvements include the addition of a second left-turn lane for eastbound Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) onto Webb Way and new traffic signals.
- Webb Way/Civic Center Way – Safety enhancements already completed include the installation of an additional northbound left turn lane from Webb Way onto Civic Center Way and a new sidewalk on the west side of Webb Way from Civic Center Way to PCH. A traffic signal will be installed at the intersection of Civic Center Way and Webb Way/Stuart Ranch Road that will be synchronized with the PCH/Webb Way signals to improve traffic flow.
- PCH/Cross Creek – New traffic signal poles and a new, dedicated right-turn lane for westbound PCH onto Cross Creek Road have been completed.
Civic Center Way Improvements Project
(City project – construction to start in January 2019)
- Civic Center Way from Malibu Canyon Road to Webb Way – Pedestrian and bike safety improvements will consist of minor road alignment modifications, striping of traffic lanes and a new bike lane, and new pedestrian walkways. New landscaping will also be added along both sides of the road.
Civic Center Wastewater Treatment Facility (CCWTF)
(City project – completion by September 30, 2018)
- The environmentally-friendly CCWTF is the largest public project in the City’s history. Construction activity around the site, located at Civic Center Way and Winter Canyon Road, will continue until the project’s grand opening celebration on October 5, 2018.
Santa Monica College Satellite Campus
(Santa Monica College and Los Angeles County project – Construction to begin early September 2018)
- The project to be constructed on County property next to the Malibu Library on Civic Center Way will include a new satellite college campus, a Sheriff’s substation, and a community room/emergency operations center. Construction begins in September 2018 with completion projected for October 2020.
The City will send traffic alerts when scheduled work activity will impact traffic in the area. To sign up for traffic alerts, visit www.MalibuCity.org/News, scroll down to “Alert Center,” and select “Traffic Advisories.”