March 21, 2020 10:28 AM
UPDATE 3/21, 10AM –District Elections Hearings Suspended; Essential Workers Defined
UPDATE 3/21, 10:00 AM – Governor’s order suspends district election hearing deadlines; State Health Officer publishes list of what are deemed Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers
Malibu City Hall is closed. Staff is answering the City’s main phone line (310-456-2489) but, due to the high number of calls, it is recommended that residents email email@example.com for the quickest response. Thank you for your patience – we will respond as quickly as possible.
DISTRICT ELECTIONS HEARING TIMELINES SUSPENDED
Late Friday, Governor Newsom issued an executive order suspending timeframes for public hearings required by jurisdictions, including the City of Malibu, that are in the process of changing or considering changing from at-large elections to district elections until such time as social distancing is no longer mandated. The order also extends the deadlines for certain responsibilities related to the Presidential Primary Election that could risk undermining social distancing measures. Read the Governor’s order - https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/3.20.20-N-34-20.pdf
ESSENTIAL INFRASTRUCTURE WORKERS DEFINED
Following Governor Newsom’s “Stay at Home” order on March 19 directing all residents, except those needed to maintain continuity of operations of essential critical infrastructure sectors and those critical to protect health and well-being of all Californians. the State Public Health Officer has published a list of “Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers” to help define those businesses and organizations deemed essential and, therefore, permitted to remain open and operational. View the list of Critical Infrastructure Workers at https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf.
RESTRICTIONS ON LOCAL TRUCK DELIVERIES LIFTED – On Friday, March 20, In order to help the flow of food and other vital necessities available for Malibu residents, City Manager Reva Feldman, in her role as Emergency Services Director, removed any restrictions on when stores in Malibu can get deliveries.
LATEST COVID-19 STATISTICS
County of Los Angeles: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
State of California: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/New-Release-2020.aspx
• (3/19/2020) “SAFER AT HOME” – LA County Health Officer order further restricted and limited gatherings, and required closure of malls, shopping centers, children’s playgrounds, and non-essential retail businesses effective at 11:59 PM, March 19. https://www.malibucity.org/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=LA-County-Health-Officer-Issues-Safer-at-2236
• (3/19/2020) CA State Public Health Officer issued “Stay at Home” Order ordering all those living in California to stay home, with few exceptions for work critical to the health and well-being of the population. https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf
• (3/20/2020) “Safer at Home” guidelines for what to do and not do to ensure compliance with County order. Offered by City of Los Angeles Mayor Garcetti but also applicable to County order. https://corona-virus.la/faq.
• (3/20/2020) List of “Essential Critical Infrastructure Workers” published by State Public Health Officer defines those businesses and organizations deemed essential in State’s “Stay at Home” order of March 19. https://covid19.ca.gov/img/EssentialCriticalInfrastructureWorkers.pdf.
MEALS/DELIVERY ASSISTANCE FOR SENIORS AND MOST VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS/FAMILIES
• Boys and Girls Club of Malibu (BGCM) and Waveside Church offer FREE delivery of food and essential services to seniors and most vulnerable families on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Call 310-457-2582, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.BGCMalibu.org.
• Malibu Foundation delivering to seniors and most vulnerable - www.TheMalibuFoundation.org/cv19
• SMMUSD providing breakfast and lunch through April 3. Drive-thru pickup at Webster Elementary School Monday-Friday, 7:00-9:00 AM. No ID is required. Available to students under 18, with an adult or guardian, or to high school students that drive themselves.
• LAUSD has 60 Grab n Go Food Centers across Los Angeles for students in need open weekdays, 7:00 AM to 10:00 AM. https://achieve.lausd.net/resources
• Meals on Wheels West will deliver food and hygiene kits to seniors or people living with disabilities. Email clientservices@MealsonWheelsWest.org or call 310 394-5133 x1. http://www.mealsonwheelswest.org/
• Property Taxes – Due April 10, but requests for penalty waiver will be accepted by the LA County Treasurer/Tax Collector (TTC) online effective April 11. More info at https://ttc.lacounty.gov/
• Federal Taxes – (3/21/2020) Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service announced the federal income tax filing due date is extended from April 15 to July 15, 2020. https://www.irs.gov/
• State Taxes (3/20/2020) – California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) announced extensions for various tax file and pay deadlines to July 15, 2020. https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/covid-19/index.html?WT.ac=COVID-19
MENTAL CARE & ASSISTANCE
• Call LA County Dept of Mental Health’s ACCESS hotline at 800-854-7771 for 24/7 assistance. Primary entry point for mental health services, including mental health screening and assessment, referral to a service provider, and crisis counseling.
• LA County Crisis Text Line – Text LA to 741741 to be connected with trained crisis counselor to receive free crisis support via text message. https://dmh.lacounty.gov/get-help-now/
• Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) working with LA County Dept of Public Health (DPH) and other City, County, and Federal Partners on coordinated COVID-19 response related to people experiencing homelessness. LAHSA and the City of LA working together to build and activate 13 shelter sites at recreation facilities in Los Angeles. More info and FAQs at https://www.lahsa.org/news?article=671-coronavirus-what-you-can-do-to-prepare.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE – INDIVIDUALS/WORKERS
• LA County one-stop page for financial resources for residents - https://lacounty.gov/covid19-news/financial-resources-for-residents-impacted-by-covid-19
• Laid off or hours reduced - Unemployment Insurance through State Employment Development Department (EDD. https://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/
• County Rapid Response services for businesses and workers impacted by layoffs – Connect with benefits, unemployment insurance and other services. Email Bizdev@wdacs.lacounty.gov
• Unable to work because you have or were exposed to COVID-19? https://edd.ca.gov/Disability
• Need time off to care for children or family members - Paid Family Leave (PFL) through State EDD. https://edd.ca.gov/Disability
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE – BUSINESSES
• State website for businesses impacted by COVID-19 www.covid19.ca.gov
• Email LAEDC at email@example.com for a one-on-one consultation regarding non-traditional loans for impacted businesses, capital and tax incentives, and cost containment strategies to maintain operations and avoid layoffs.
• Help for businesses & employees impacted by COVID-19. https://business.ca.gov/coronavirus-2019/
• US Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital. More info and apply online – www.disasterloan.sba.gov/ela. Call SBA Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• County Rapid Response services for businesses and workers impacted by layoffs – connect with benefits, unemployment insurance and other services. Email Bizdev@wdacs.lacounty.gov
• California’s Work Sharing Program - alternative to layoffs for businesses with reduced work or production - https://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/Work_Sharing_Program.htm
• County enacted emergency moratorium on residential and commercial evictions through March 31. Tenants will have until November 2020 to pay for any rent owed.
• Malibu City Hall, Senior Center, and all City parks, including restroom facilities, are closed
• All State Parks closed. Bathrooms, beaches and trails remain open with social distancing required.
• All LA County Libraries, including Malibu Community Library, are closed. Online services available. Pickup of on-hold items at Malibu Library - Details at www.LACountylibrary.org
• All SMMUSD schools and programs are closed. Breakfast and lunch available for pickup at Webster Elementary School, Monday-Friday, 7:00-9:00 AM – www.SMMUSD.org
• All bars, gyms, fitness centers, and theaters closed. All restaurants, including bars that serve food, may prepare and serve food by delivery, pick-up, or drive-thru only. Hotels and motels may serve food via room service only. (LA County Public Health Officer)
• All LA County facilities closed to the public until further notice.
• LA County Dept of Animal Control’s (DACC) – All animal care centers closed. DACC officers will respond to emergency calls for service. To reunite lost pets with families, download https://shadowapp.com. More DACC information at https://lacounty.gov/.
CITY OF MALIBU
City Hall, the Senior Center, and all City parks, including restroom facilities, are closed. Essential City staff are working remotely. Residents wishing to contact City staff may do so by calling departmental extensions or emails:
-- Planning – 310-456-2489, ext. 485 or email MPlanning@malibucity.org
-- Building Safety – 310-456-2489, ext. 390 or email MBuilding@malibucity.org
-- Public Works – 310-456-2489, ext. 391 or MPublicWorks@malibucity.org
-- All other City business – 310-456-2489, ext. 392 or email@example.com
SENIORS – All seniors and those with chronic conditions are strongly urged to home-isolate. The Malibu Senior Center is closed, but Dial-a-Ride is operating for seniors needing transportation to medical appointments or other necessary locations. Reservations can be made by calling 424-346-8444. Dial-a-Ride program hours are Monday through Wednesday, 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, and Thursday and Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
CITY OF MALIBU ACTIONS
• General Fund Grants Application deadline extended to April 10. www.MalibuCity.org/generalfund
• Restrictions removed on when stores in Malibu can get deliveries.
SPANISH LANGUAGE EMERGENCY INFORMATION
The City of Malibu will publish emergency information about the Coronavirus on the City website: www.MalibuCity.org/Coronavirus. Residents and businesses are asked to share emergency information with their Spanish- speaking staff and contractors.
La ciudad de Malibú publicará todas las alertas de emergencia sobre el coronavirus en el sitio web de la ciudad: www.MalibuCity.org/Coronavirus.
CORONAVIRUS PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE
The City of Malibu continues to monitor the status of the Coronavirus and implement measures to protect public health and safety and is doing everything possible to support vulnerable community members. There are currently no known cases of Coronavirus in Malibu. The City continues to follow the recommendations of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LADPH), California Office of Emergency Services (CALOES) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and is taking steps to reduce the likelihood of community spread.
Residents are encouraged to be prepared with three weeks of food, medication, and toiletries on hand for your family and pets in case you need to stay home. Residents should also connect with neighbors, particularly seniors or those with underlying health conditions, to see if they need help in any way. These individuals are at higher risk and Governor Newsom is calling for all seniors and individuals with chronic conditions to home-isolate.
More info at MalibuCity.org/Coronavirus - https://www.malibucity.org/coronavirus
LA County Dept of Public Health (LADPH) - http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus
LA County Dept of Mental Health - https://dmh.lacounty.gov/get-help-now/
LA County COVID-19 webpage - https://lacounty.gov/covid19/
State of California COVID-19 website - www.covid19.ca.gov
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
US Congressman Ted Lieu COVID19 webpage - https://lieu.house.gov/coronavirus
CDC Guidance for Cancellation of Events - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html
Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD) - https://www.smmusd.org
LA County Library - https://lacountylibrary.org/
Malibu Foundation - www.TheMalibuFoundation.org/cv19
US Small Business Administration (SBA) - https://DisasterLoan.sba.gov/ela, Call 800-659-2955, Email DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov