March 20, 2020 4:07 PM
UPDATE 3/20, 4PM – Store deliveries eased; Property Tax Deadline; BGCM deliveries; Homeless Response
UPDATE 3/20, 4:00 PM – Restrictions on local deliveries eased; Boys & Girls Club/Waveside Church set delivery schedule; County Tax Collector addresses property tax deadline; Agencies working together on response for homeless
Malibu City Hall is closed. Staff is answering the City’s main phone line (310-456-2489) but, due to the high number of calls, it is recommended that residents email email@example.com for the quickest response. Thank you for your patience – we will respond as quickly as possible.
RESTRICTIONS ON LOCAL TRUCK DELIVERIES LIFTED – In order to help the flow of food and other vital necessities available for Malibu residents, City Manager Reva Feldman, in her role as Emergency Services Director, today removed any restrictions on when stores in Malibu can get deliveries.
BGCM AND WAVESIDE CHURCH SET DELIVERY SCHEDULE – The Boys and Girls Club of Malibu (BGCM), in partnership with the Waveside Church, are providing FREE delivery of food and essential services to Malibu’s seniors and most vulnerable families on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. For more information and request support, call 310-457-2582, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.BGCMalibu.org.
PROPERTY TAX DEADLINE – The Los Angeles County Treasurer/Tax Collector (TTC) advises property owners to pay their property taxes by the April 10 deadline, if possible. That revenue is a vital resource for providing necessary services, especially during these difficult times. Any residents unable to pay their property tax by April 10 may submit a request for penalty cancellation beginning April 11, 2020. More info at https://ttc.lacounty.gov/
LAHSA WORKING WITH DEPT OF PUBLIC HEALTH TO PROTECT HOMELESS & CITY OF LA TO ACTIVATE 13 SHELTER SITES AT RECREATION FACILITIES IN LA - The Los Angeles Homeless Services Authority (LAHSA) is working closely with the LA County Dept of Public Health (DPH) and other City, County, and Federal Partners on a coordinated COVID-19 response related to people experiencing homelessness. LAHSA and the City of LA are also working together to build and activate 13 shelter sites at recreation facilities in Los Angeles. Read FAQs and learn more at https://www.lahsa.org/news?article=671-coronavirus-what-you-can-do-to-prepare.
CONGRESSMAN TED LIEU HOLDS TELPHONE TOWN HALL – US Congressman Ted Lieu, who serves the greater LA area, including Malibu, in the US House of Representatives, hosted a telephone town hall on March 18, to answer questions and provide updates about the COVID-19 response. Listen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxIRDFYoAA&t=6s.
“SAFER AT HOME” COMPLIANCE GUIDELINES – City of Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti offers simple guidelines for ensuring compliance with the “Safer at Home” order issued by both the City of LA and LA County Dept of Public Health. Learn what you can do and should not do at https://corona-virus.la/faq.
LA COUNTY ISSUES “SAFER AT HOME” ORDER – The Los Angeles County Health Officer issued an order to further restrict and limit gatherings of 10 or more, and to require the closure of malls, shopping centers, children’s playgrounds, and non-essential retail businesses effective at 11:59 PM, March 19. https://www.malibucity.org/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=LA-County-Health-Officer-Issues-Safer-at-2236
STATE ISSUES “SAFE AT HOME” ORDER – Immediately after the County order was announced, Governor Newsom announced a “Stay at Home” Order issued by the CA State Public Health Officer, ordering all those living in California to stay home, with few exceptions for work critical to the health and well-being of the population. Read the full order at https://covid19.ca.gov/img/N-33-20.pdf
FEDERAL INCOME TAX DEADLINE MOVED TO JULY 15 – On March 20, the US Treasury Secretary confirmed the President’s early morning message on Twitter that the income tax deadline has been moved from April 15, 2020 to July 15, 2020 for all taxpayers and businesses to file and make tax payments without penalty.
STATE TAX DEADLINES EXTENDED TO JULY 15 – On March 20, the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) announced extensions for various tax file and pay deadlines to July 15, 2020 because of COVID-19. To view all State taxes affected by the extension, visit the FTB website at https://www.ftb.ca.gov/about-ftb/newsroom/covid-19/index.html?WT.ac=COVID-19
CITY EXTENDS DEADLINE FOR GENERAL FUND GRANT APPLICATIONS – The deadline to submit applications for Malibu’s General Fund Grants has been extended to April 10. For more information, visit www.MalibuCity.org/generalfund
LA COUNTY FINANCIAL RESOURCES
The County has created a one-stop page on its website listing several financial resources for residents impacted by COVID-19. Visit: https://lacounty.gov/covid19-news/financial-resources-for-residents-impacted-by-covid-19
SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION DISASTER LOANS
The US Small Business Administration (SBA) is offering low-interest federal disaster loans for working capital to California small business suffering economic injury as a result of COVID-19.
• Apply online or find more disaster assistance information – www.disasterloan.sba.gov/ela
• Call SBA Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955 or email email@example.com
RESOURCES FOR WORKERS – CA STATE
• If you’ve been laid off or had your hours reduced, you can apply for Unemployment Insurance through the State Employment Development Department (EDD). https://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/
• If you’re unable to work due because you have or were exposed to COVID-19, you can file a Disability Insurance Claim through the State EDD. https://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/How_to_File_a_DI_Claim_in_SDI_Online.htm
• Employees who need leave to take care of children or family members can apply for Paid Family Leave (PFL) through the State EDD. https://www.edd.ca.gov/Disability/How_to_File_a_PFL_Claim_in_SDI_Online.htm
RESOURCES FOR BUSINESSES & WORKERS – CA STATE & LA COUNTY
• State website for businesses impacted by COVID-19: www.covid19.ca.gov
• Email LAEDC at firstname.lastname@example.org for a one-on-one consultation regarding non-traditional loans for impacted businesses, capital and tax incentives, and cost containment strategies to maintain operations and avoid layoffs.
• California’s Work Sharing Program provides an alternative to layoffs for businesses with reduced work or production - https://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/Work_Sharing_Program.htm
• County Rapid Response services for businesses and workers impacted by layoffs, get workers connected to benefits, unemployment insurance and other services. Email Bizdev@wdacs.lacounty.gov
• The County enacted an emergency moratorium on residential and commercial evictions through March 31. Tenants will have until November 2020 to pay the property owner for any rent owed.
LATEST COVID-19 STATISTICS
County of Los Angeles: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
State of California: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/OPA/Pages/New-Release-2020.aspx
LA COUNTY OFFERS 24/7 MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT – For 24/7 assistance, call the LA County Dept of Mental Health’s ACCESS hotline at 800-854-7771. The ACCESS line operates 24 hours/day, 7 days/week as the primary entry point for mental health services with the LA County Dept of Mental Health, including mental health screening and assessment, referral to a service provider, crisis counseling, and more. A Crisis Text Line is also available - Text LA to 741741 and be connected with a trained crisis counselor to receive free crisis support via text message. https://dmh.lacounty.gov/get-help-now/
MEALS/DELIVERY ASSISTANCE FOR SENIORS AND MOST VULNERABLE INDIVIDUALS/FAMILIES
• Boys and Girls Club of Malibu (BGCM) and Waveside Church offer FREE delivery of food and essential services to seniors and most vulnerable families on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Call 310-457-2582, email email@example.com or visit www.BGCMalibu.org.
• SMMUSD providing breakfast and lunch through April 3. Drive-thru pickup at Webster Elementary School Monday-Friday, 7:00-9:00 AM. No ID is required. Meals will be provided to students under 18, with an adult or guardian, or to high school students that drive themselves.
• LAUSD has 60 Grab n Go Food Centers across Los Angeles for students in need open weekdays, 7:00 AM to 10:00 AM. https://achieve.lausd.net/resources
• Meals on Wheels West available to deliver food and hygiene kits to seniors or people living with disabilities. Enroll by email to clientservices@MealsonWheelsWest.org or call 310 394-5133 x1. More info at http://www.mealsonwheelswest.org/
• Malibu Foundation delivering to seniors and most vulnerable - www.TheMalibuFoundation.org/cv19
CITY OF MALIBU
City Hall, the Senior Center, and all City parks, including restroom facilities, are closed. Essential City staff are working remotely. Residents wishing to contact City staff may do so by calling departmental extensions or emails:
-- Planning – 310-456-2489, ext. 485 or email MPlanning@malibucity.org
-- Building Safety – 310-456-2489, ext. 390 or email MBuilding@malibucity.org
-- Public Works – 310-456-2489, ext. 391 or MPublicWorks@malibucity.org
-- All other City business – 310-456-2489, ext. 392 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All seniors and those with chronic conditions are strongly urged to home-isolate. The Malibu Senior Center is closed, but Dial-a-Ride is operating for seniors needing transportation to medical appointments or other necessary locations. Reservations can be made by calling 424-346-8444. Dial-a-Ride program hours are Monday through Wednesday, 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM, and Thursday and Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
SPANISH LANGUAGE EMERGENCY INFORMATION
The City of Malibu will publish emergency information about the Coronavirus on the City website: www.MalibuCity.org/Coronavirus. Residents and businesses are asked to share emergency information with their Spanish- speaking staff and contractors.
La ciudad de Malibú publicará todas las alertas de emergencia sobre el coronavirus en el sitio web de la ciudad: www.MalibuCity.org/Coronavirus.
ALL LA COUNTY FACILITIES CLOSED
All Los Angeles County facilities are closed to the public effective March until further notice, including Department of Animal Control’s (DACC) seven animal care centers. DACC officers will continue to respond to emergency calls for service including dangerous dogs, sick or injured animals, police assistance, removal of dead animals, and animal cruelty investigations. People who find or lose a pet should download https://shadowapp.com to reunite lost pets with their families. For more information, visit https://lacounty.gov/.
• City Hall, Senior Center, and all City parks, including restroom facilities, are closed
• All City Parks closed, including restroom facilities (City)
• All State Parks closed. Bathrooms, beaches and trails remain open with social distancing required.
• All bars, gyms, fitness centers, and theaters closed. All restaurants, including bars that serve food, may prepare and serve food by delivery, pick-up, or drive-thru only. Hotels and motels may serve food via room service only. (LA County Public Health Officer)
• All California residents are protected from eviction due to nonpayment of rent, or foreclosure, if the inability to pay due to loss of income or substantial out-of-pocket medical expenses as a result of coronavirus (Governor)
Senior Center Closed – City staff is available to assist seniors. Call 310-456-2489.
• Malibu Dial-a-Ride program continues to operate. Dial-A-Ride vehicles are regularly disinfected.
• All LA County Libraries, including Malibu Community Library, are closed. Online services available. Pickup of on-hold items at Malibu Library - Details at www.LACountylibrary.org
• All SMMUSD schools and programs are closed. Breakfast and lunch available to SMMUSD students for pickup at Webster Elementary School, Monday-Friday, 7:00-9:00 AM – www.SMMUSD.org
• US Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest federal disaster loans for California small businesses. Complete online application at https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela, call 800-659-2955, or email email@example.com
• Caring for an ill or quarantined family member? You may qualify for Paid Family Leave (PFL) - Visit https://edd.ca.gov/Disability
• Lost your job? Hours reduced? File an unemployment insurance claim with the State Employment Development Dept (EDD) – Visit https://edd.ca.gov/Unemployment
• If you are unable to work due to medical quarantine or illness, or got sick on the job, you may qualify for paid sick leave, Disability Insurance, or Workers Compensation – visit https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019.htm
• Has your business been impacted? Find help for you and your employees at https://business.ca.gov/coronavirus-2019/
CORONAVIRUS PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE
The City of Malibu continues to monitor the status of the Coronavirus and implement measures to protect public health and safety and is doing everything possible to support vulnerable community members. There are currently no known cases of Coronavirus in Malibu. The City continues to follow the recommendations of the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LADPH), California Office of Emergency Services (CALOES) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and is taking steps to reduce the likelihood of community spread.
Residents are encouraged to be prepared with three weeks of food, medication, and toiletries on hand for your family and pets in case you need to stay home. Residents should also connect with neighbors, particularly seniors or those with underlying health conditions, to see if they need help in any way. These individuals are at higher risk and Governor Newsom is calling for all seniors and individuals with chronic conditions to home-isolate.
More info at MalibuCity.org/Coronavirus - https://www.malibucity.org/coronavirus
LA County Dept of Public Health (LADPH) - http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus
LA County Dept of Mental Health - https://dmh.lacounty.gov/get-help-now/
LA County COVID-19 webpage - https://lacounty.gov/covid19/
State of California COVID-19 website - www.covid19.ca.gov
Centers for Disease Control (CDC) website - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
US Congressman Ted Lieu COVID19 webpage - https://lieu.house.gov/coronavirus
CDC Guidance for Cancellation of Events - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/mass-gatherings-ready-for-covid-19.html
Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District (SMMUSD) - https://www.smmusd.org
LA County Library - https://lacountylibrary.org/
Malibu Foundation - www.TheMalibuFoundation.org/cv19
US Small Business Administration (SBA) - https://DisasterLoan.sba.gov/ela, Call 800-659-2955, Email DisasterCustomerService@sba.gov