Fee Waiver & Deadlines
City Council approved several measures to assist property owners with rebuilding. Contact the City’s Rebuild Staff during normal business hours to discuss your project or contact Aakash Shah at 310-456-2489, ext. 385 to schedule an appointment.
DEADLINES TO Rebuild In-Kind Structures
The Malibu City Council voted unanimously to December 14, 2020 to extend the deadline to apply to rebuild non-conforming homes and structures destroyed in the Woolsey Fire without having to bring the structure into compliance or seek variances. The new deadline is November 8, 2021. In addition, the deadline to obtain building permits has been extended to November 8, 2023. To submit an application, please contact Rebuild Staff at 310-456-2489, ext. 385 or email email@example.com.
CITY FEE WAIVER PROGRAM & DEADLINES
ALERT: On March 23, 2021, the City Council adopted Resolution No. 21-10 extended the fee waiver program for an additional year. The staff report and resolution are available on the City's website.
- Fees may be waived for like-for-like or like-for-like +10% structures.
- The application for waiver was due on December 30, 2021.
- All required Planning Department applications for the project must have been deemed complete by December 30, 2021.
- All required building permits must be pulled by June 30, 2022.
- All fees associated with post-approval revisions to the project's Planning Department approval or building permit issuance will be charged in accordance the City's Adopted Fee Schedule.
- In no case shall any fees be waived after June 30, 2022.
- Fee waivers are not transferable. If a waiver is obtained, a Certificate of Occupancy will only be issued to the property owner who files the affidavit establishing primary residence at the time of the Woolsey Fire with the City. All fees that were waived must be paid to the City before a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued to an owner other than the one listed on the fee waiver.
The City is waiving all City rebuilding fees for properties that are being rebuilt as a like-for-like or like-for-like plus 10% rebuild and were used as a primary residence by the property owner as of November 8, 2018. Eligible waived fees also include fees required for replacement or upgrade of onsite wastewater treatment systems (OWTS), damaged or destroyed accessory structures, hardscaping, and landscaping. Eligible rebuilding fees that have been already been paid may qualify for a refund.
Proof of Ownership and Primary Residency
Property owners are eligible for a fee waiver if the property that was destroyed or damaged by the Woolsey Fire was their primary residence as of November 8, 2018. All applicants requesting a fee waiver must submit a completed Affidavit of Ownership and Primary Residency, and provide photo identification and documentation of primary residency that will be reviewed by City staff. Accepted proof for primary residency includes: an active voter registration, a valid driver license, or other government-issued documentation with both the property owner name and the property address that was damaged or destroyed by the Woolsey Fire.
Property owners who paid fees prior to the adoption of the Fee Waiver ordinance are eligible to apply for a refund of City fees. All applicants requesting a refund must submit a Refund Request Form and demonstrate primary residency through the in-person submittal of a completed Affidavit of Ownership and Primary Residency. (Download a complete Fee Refund Packet)
If you have questions about the fee waiver or refund process, email Rebuild Project staff or call 310-456-2489, ext. 385. The refund check will be mailed to the original payer of record within four weeks of the refund request.
At its Regular meeting on July 23, 2019, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors adopted a Resolution to Waive Waterworks District 29 Fees, for fire rebuilds that will not use more water than what was previously used.