Fee Waiver & Deadlines
City Council approved several measures to assist property owners with rebuilding. Contact the City’s Rebuild Staff during normal business hours to discuss your project or contact Aakash Shah at 310-456-2489, ext. 385 to schedule an appointment.
Rebuild Non-Conforming In-Kind Rebuilds
The deadline to submit an application to rebuild non-conforming homes and structures without having to bring the structure into compliance or seek variances was November 8, 2020. On November 23, 2020, the City Council will consider an ordinance to extend the November 8 deadline by one year as well as the deadline to obtain a building permit. The City Council is available online (See Item 4B).
Did you miss the November 8th deadline?
For those who have missed the November 8 deadline but would like to benefit from the City’s Woolsey Fire Fee Waiver Program, please submit a complete application to the Planning Department prior to the December 30, 2020 deadline. The Planning Department is conditionally accepting planning verifications for legal nonconforming structures in an effort to allow homeowners to apply for the City’s Woolsey Fire Fee Waiver Program. The planning verification application must be accompanied by a Conditional Acceptance Agreement. The rebuild application will be accepted but cannot be processed unless the City Council extends the deadline. For more information, please contact Aakash Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 310-456-2489, ext. 385.
- Planning Verification form
- Planning Verification Conditional Acceptance Agreement
- Time Extension Request form
Fee Waiver Deadlines
- June 22, 2020 - the Council adopted Resolution 20-32 extending the fee waiver deadlines for eligible rebuild projects.
- Rebuilding Non-conforming Structures Deadline: To rebuild previously permitted fire damaged or destroyed dwellings and structures that may not meet current zoning standards (eg. square footage, maximum height, setbacks, parking):
- The application for waiver must be received by December 30, 2020.
- All required Planning Department applications for the project must be deemed complete by December 30, 2020.
- All required building permits must be pulled by June 30, 2021.
- In addition, the resolution clarifies that all fees associated with post-approval revisions to the project’s Planning Department approval or building permit issuance will be charged in accordance the City’s Adopted Fee Schedule.
City Fee Waiver
The City is waiving all City rebuilding fees for properties that are being rebuilt as a like-for-like or like-for-like plus 10% rebuild and were used as a primary residence by the property owner as of November 8, 2018. Eligible waived fees also include fees required for replacement or upgrade of onsite wastewater treatment systems (OWTS), damaged or destroyed accessory structures, hardscaping, and landscaping. Eligible rebuilding fees that have been already been paid may qualify for a refund.
Proof of Ownership and Primary Residency
Property owners are eligible for a fee waiver if the property that was destroyed or damaged by the Woolsey Fire was their primary residence as of November 8, 2018. All applicants requesting a fee waiver must submit a completed Affidavit of Ownership and Primary Residency, and provide photo identification and documentation of primary residency that will be reviewed by City staff. Accepted proof for primary residency includes: an active voter registration, a valid driver license, or other government-issued documentation with both the property owner name and the property address that was damaged or destroyed by the Woolsey Fire.
Property owners who paid fees prior to the adoption of the Fee Waiver ordinance are eligible to apply for a refund of City fees. All applicants requesting a refund must submit a Refund Request Form and demonstrate primary residency through the in-person submittal of a completed Affidavit of Ownership and Primary Residency. (Download a complete Fee Refund Application Packet)
If you have questions about the fee waiver or refund process, email Rebuild Project staff or call 310-456-2489, ext. 385. The refund check will be mailed to the original payer of record within four weeks of the refund request.
At its Regular meeting on July 23, 2019, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors adopted a Resolution to Waive Waterworks District 29 Fees, for fire rebuilds that will not use more water than what was previously used.