Fee Waiver & Deadlines
The City Council approved several measures to assist property owners with rebuilding. Contact the City’s Rebuild Staff during normal business hours to discuss your project or contact Aakash Shah at 310-456-2489, ext. 385 to schedule an appointment.
DEADLINES TO Rebuild In-Kind Structures
Planning Submittal - The November 8, 2021 deadline to submit a Planning Verification (PV) application to rebuild nonconforming homes and structures without having to bring the structure into compliance or seek variances has passed. A request for a time extension was due by this date.
Building Permits - Planning Verification approvals expire five years from the date of the Woolsey Fire. The deadline to obtain building permits is November 8, 2023. Homeowners are encouraged to obtain building permits prior to the November 8 deadline or request an extension. Extensions may be granted by the Planning Commission when the request demonstrates that due to unusual circumstances, the deadline creates an undue hardship. To submit a request for a time extension, contact Rebuild Staff at 310-456-2489, ext. 385 or email Ashah@malibucity.org.
CITY FEE WAIVER PROGRAM & DEADLINES
On November 8, 2021, the City Council adopted Resolution No. 21-62 extending the fee waiver program for an additional 18 months.
- Fees may be waived for like-for-like or like-for-like +10% structures.
- The application for waiver are due by June 30, 2023.
- All required Planning Department applications for the project must be deemed complete by June 30, 2023.
- All required building permits must be pulled by December 30, 2023.
- All fees associated with post-approval revisions to the project's Planning Department approval or building permit issuance will be charged in accordance the City's Adopted Fee Schedule.
- In no case shall any fees be waived after December 30, 2023.
- Fee waivers are not transferable. If a waiver is obtained, a Certificate of Occupancy will only be issued to the property owner who files the affidavit establishing primary residence at the time of the Woolsey Fire with the City. All fees that were waived must be paid to the City before a Certificate of Occupancy will be issued to an owner other than the one listed on the fee waiver.
The City is waiving all City rebuilding fees for properties that are being rebuilt as a like-for-like or like-for-like plus 10% rebuild and were used as a primary residence by the property owner as of November 8, 2018. Eligible waived fees also include fees required for replacement or upgrade of onsite wastewater treatment systems (OWTS), damaged or destroyed accessory structures, hardscaping, and landscaping. Eligible rebuilding fees that have been already paid may qualify for a refund.
Proof of Ownership and Primary Residency
Property owners are eligible for a fee waiver if the property that was destroyed or damaged by the Woolsey Fire was their primary residence as of November 8, 2018. All applicants requesting a fee waiver must submit a completed Affidavit of Ownership and Primary Residency, and provide photo identification and documentation of primary residency that will be reviewed by City staff. Accepted proof for primary residency includes: an active voter registration, a valid driver license, or other government-issued documentation with both the property owner name and the property address that was damaged or destroyed by the Woolsey Fire.
Property owners who paid fees prior to the adoption of the Fee Waiver resolution are eligible to apply for a refund of City fees. All property owners requesting a refund must submit a Refund Request Form and demonstrate primary residency by submitting a completed Affidavit of Ownership and Primary Residency.
If you have questions about the fee waiver or refund process, email Rebuild Project staff or call 310-456-2489, ext. 385. The refund check will be mailed to the original payer of record within four weeks of the refund request.
At its Regular meeting on July 23, 2019, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors adopted a Resolution to Waive Waterworks District 29 Fees, for fire rebuilds that will not use more water than what was previously used.