Malibu Library Speaker Series
About the Series
Since 2013, the Malibu Library Speaker Series, a program of the Malibu Library, part of LA County Library, and the City of Malibu, has featured experts, authors, and other notable figures discussing a wide range of subjects, including the entertainment industry, literature, science, motivation, the arts, education, sports, travel, food, and the environment.
Malibu Library Speaker Series: Winona LaDuke
Wednesday, November 20, 7:00 PM
Malibu City Hall
RSVP online or call Malibu Library at 310-456-6438
LaDuke is a rural development economist working on issues of economic, food, and energy sovereignty. She lives and works on the White Earth reservation in northern Minnesota and leads several organizations, including Honor the Earth, Anishinaabe Agriculture Institute, Akiing, and Winona’s Hemp. These organizations develop and model cultural-based sustainable development strategies utilizing renewable energy and sustainable food systems.
LaDuke is an international thought leader in the areas of climate justice, renewable energy, and environmental justice. She is also a leader in the work of protecting Indigenous plants and heritage foods from patenting and genetic engineering. She has authored six books, including Recovering the Sacred, All our Relations, Last Standing Woman, and her newest work, The Winona LaDuke Chronicles.
Past Notable Speakers
- Bestselling author Susan Orlean
- Bestselling author Joyce Carol Oates
- Bestselling author Eric Schlosser
- Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred
- Best-selling author Susan Casey
- Former Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti
- Abduction survivor and author Elizabeth Smart
- Award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey
- Medical cannabis expert and author Michael Backes
- David Garibaldi, radical performance painter
- Tom Shadyac, prolific comedy writer and director
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of best-selling novel, "Eat, Pray, Love"
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor of Sacramento and former NBA star
- Jeff Henderson, award-winning chef and best-selling author
- Jeannette Walls, best-selling author of "The Glass Castle"
- Climate change champion and author Bill McKibben