Malibu Library Speaker Series
About the Series
Since 2013, the Malibu Library Speaker Series, a program of the Malibu Library, part of LA County Library, and the City of Malibu, has featured experts, authors, and other notable figures discussing a wide range of subjects, including the entertainment industry, literature, science, motivation, the arts, education, sports, travel, food, and the environment.
Bestselling Author Michael Scott Moore
Wednesday, May 15, 7:00 PM
Malibu Library, 23519 West Civic Center Way, Malibu, CA 90265
Free with RSVP. Please RSVP online or by calling the Malibu Library at 310-456-6438.
The Malibu Library Speaker Series presents bestselling author Michael Scott Moore discussing his most recent book “The Desert and the Sea.” This profound memoir of his three-year captivity by Somali pirates is a riveting, thoughtful and emotional exploration of foreign policy, religious extremism, and the costs of survival.
Michael Scott Moore is a journalist and a novelist, author of a comic novel about L.A., "Too Much of Nothing," as well as a travel book about surfing, "Sweetness and Blood," which was named a best book of 2010 by The Economist. He’s won Fulbright, Logan, and Pulitzer Center grants for his nonfiction, and a MacDowell Colony fellowship for his fiction. He worked for several years as an editor and writer at Spiegel Online in Berlin. He was kidnapped in early 2012 on a reporting trip to Somalia and held hostage by pirates for 32 months. The Desert and the Sea, a memoir about that ordeal, is out now from HarperCollins.
Past Notable Speakers
- Bestselling author Susan Orlean
- Bestselling author Joyce Carol Oates
- Bestselling author Eric Schlosser
- Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred
- Best-selling author Susan Casey
- Former Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti
- Abduction survivor and author Elizabeth Smart
- Award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey
- Medical cannabis expert and author Michael Backes
- David Garibaldi, radical performance painter
- Tom Shadyac, prolific comedy writer and director
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of best-selling novel, "Eat, Pray, Love"
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor of Sacramento and former NBA star
- Jeff Henderson, award-winning chef and best-selling author
- Jeannette Walls, best-selling author of "The Glass Castle"
- Climate change champion and author Bill McKibben