Malibu Library Speaker Series
About the Series
Since 2013, the Malibu Library Speaker Series, a program of the Malibu Library, part of LA County Library, and the City of Malibu, has featured experts, authors, and other notable figures discussing a wide range of subjects, including the entertainment industry, literature, science, motivation, the arts, education, sports, travel, food, and the environment.
Beatles Expert Scott Freiman
Wednesday, September 18, 7:00 PM
Malibu City Hall, 23825 Stuart Ranch Road, Malibu, CA 90265
Free with RSVP. Please RSVP online or by calling the Malibu Library at 310-456-6438.
The Malibu Library Speaker Series presents Deconstructing Abbey Road with Beatles expert Scott Freiman. The Beatles' Abbey Road is a masterpiece filled with classic Beatles songs, such as "Come Together," "Something," and "Here Comes the Sun." Freiman will take the audience on a track-by-track journey explaining the inspiration for the songs and their evolution in the studio.
Scott Freiman is a composer, musician, and software entrepreneur who presents a series of multimedia presentation about the composition and production techniques of the Beatles. He has lectured at multiple community events, corporations, colleges, and universities and has taught a 13-part course at Yale University entitled "The Beatles In The Studio."
Showcase: local Author series
Wednesday, September 25, 7:00 PM
Malibu Library, 23519 West Civic Center Way, Malibu, CA 90265
Free to attend. A RSVP is not required.
Showcase: Local Author Series, is an extension of the Malibu Library Speaker Series and features published authors who live and write in Malibu. The first panel discussion and book signing will take place at the Malibu Library on September 25.
September Featured Authors:
June Louks embodies a healing lifestyle through a deep connection with our planet. A beekeeper who grows her own food, she is the co-founder of the Malibu Agricultural Society and is committed to the well-being and healing of families and communities. Louks will speak on her book A Malibu Mom's Manifesto on Fresh, Whole Foods.
Suzanne Guldimann grew up in Malibu and is a longtime local writer, artist, and musician. Guldimann is the associate editor of the Messenger Mountain News. Her book Life in Malibu outlines the real Malibu, the one beyond the tabloid stories and the mega-mansions.
Past Notable Speakers
- Bestselling author Susan Orlean
- Bestselling author Joyce Carol Oates
- Bestselling author Eric Schlosser
- Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred
- Best-selling author Susan Casey
- Former Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti
- Abduction survivor and author Elizabeth Smart
- Award-winning documentary filmmakers Rory Kennedy and Mark Bailey
- Medical cannabis expert and author Michael Backes
- David Garibaldi, radical performance painter
- Tom Shadyac, prolific comedy writer and director
- Elizabeth Gilbert, author of best-selling novel, "Eat, Pray, Love"
- Kevin Johnson, Mayor of Sacramento and former NBA star
- Jeff Henderson, award-winning chef and best-selling author
- Jeannette Walls, best-selling author of "The Glass Castle"
- Climate change champion and author Bill McKibben