Step 2: Administrative Hearing
If you are not satisfied with the results of the Administrative Review, the next step would be to request an Administrative Hearing (in-person or written).
A request for an Administrative Hearing must be filed within twenty-one (21) days of the mail date of the Administrative Review results notice. Once those 21 days have passed, you are no longer entitled to an Administrative Hearing.
IMPORTANT: All fines for the contested citation must be paid in full prior to scheduling a hearing. Determination of an inability to pay is governed by California Vehicle Code Section 40215(b) and may allow a waiver of the deposit of the amount due, provided the issuing agency is in possession of sufficient proof and has granted a variance. Contact the Parking Enforcement Center for more information. The right to an Administrative Hearing will be forfeited if the Parking Enforcement Center is not notified within the specified time,
To request an Administrative Hearing, complete and sign the bottom section of the Parking Citation Administrative Review form, enclose a deposit for the full amount of the penalty in the form of a check or money order payable to the City of Malibu, and mail the form and check to:
City of Malibu
Parking Enforcement Center
P.O. Box 2081
Tustin, CA 92781-2081
Requests for an Administrative Hearing can also be delivered to Malibu City Hall during normal business hours.
Upon receipt of the request for an In-Person Hearing, written notification of the hearing time, date, and location will be sent.
What Happens at an Administrative Hearing?
The Hearing Examiner will be provided with a case folder containing all information relevant to the citation, including:
- A copy of the citation
- Any correspondence received by the City of Malibu concerning the citation
- The results of any investigations conducted during the Administrative Review process
- A complete computer record of all calls received and notices sent
The Hearing Examiner will review this information, and will also listen to your explanation of why the citation should be dismissed OR will read your Written Declaration.
In-Person Hearing Proceedings:
- Please arrive 10 minutes early.
- You may bring any witnesses, records, or documents with you that are applicable to your case.
- Any interpreters needed, including sign language, must be provided by the contestant.
- Any additional documents, relating to the appeal of your citation must be submitted at the time of your hearing. No extensions will be granted to submit further documentation. Documentation will not be returned.
- You will be provided and asked to sign a Parking Citation Hearing Office Statement of Rights and Responsibilities form outlining the procedures of the hearing.
- All hearings will be recorded.
Written Hearing Proceedings:
To select a Written Hearing, submit any information to be considered, as well as a written declaration explaining why you believe that the citation should be dismissed. With this option, you will not be present for the Hearing.
All Administrative Hearings shall be conducted in a fair and impartial review of the contested parking citation by a Hearing Examiner. The results of the Administrative Hearing will be mailed to you.
The Parking Citation bail amount will be refunded if the Hearing Examiner finds that the citation is not valid and you are not liable. If the citation is found to be valid and you are deemed liable, the deposit will become payment in full for the parking citation.