Temporary Use Permits

Events on Non-Residential Properties

A Temporary Use Permit (TUP) is intended to allow for the short-term placement of activities, many of which would be prohibited on a permanent basis (MMC Section 17.68.010).

Not all special events require the issuance of a TUP. You will need a TUP if your activity involves any of the following:

  • Admission fee
  • Rental of a facility (e.g., the rental of a facility to hold a wedding or other event)
  • Charging guests for valet parking or shuttle service
  • Advertised events / fundraisers
  • Events that take place outside of a business’ building or outside the normal service area of a restaurant

You may also need a TUP for an event that includes the use of other parcels not owned by the TUP applicant.

Number of TUPs Allowed

A maximum of six events per parcel per calendar year in non-residential zones.

When to Submit Your Application

Applications for events that do not require a Coastal Development Permit (CDP) must be submitted a minimum of 35 days prior to the event date. A public notice is required to be issued 32 days prior to the event.  

If an event requires a CDP, it is preferred, though not required by Code, the application be submitted a minimum of 90 days prior to the event to allow ample time for public noticing, and reporting to the Planning Commission, Generally, an event will need a CDP if it takes place between Memorial Day and Labor Day and will last more than one day from set-up to clean-up.

*Temporary Use Permits are subject local appeal provisions. 

The City Council will consider an ordinance and Planning Commission recommendations to Title 17 (Zoning) of the Malibu Municipal Code to update regulations related to Temporary Use Permits. The ZTA 21-005 PHN for Zoning Text Amendment No. 21-005 was published on September 28, 2023.