Wastewater Management / Environmental Health
ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY DEPARTMENT UPDATE
City Hall is closed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19). ESD staff is providing essential services while working with limited access. Staff will continue to prioritize fire rebuild processing and will respond to other requests in the order they are received as soon as possible. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
NEW Online Appointment System - The City has implemented COVID-19 physical distancing measures such as Plexiglas shields, rigorous sanitation procedures, and limitations on the number of staff and public that can be inside City Hall at one time, and other measures to protect the health and safety of the public and staff. Schedule an appointment Tuesday and Thursday, 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM, with the online appointment scheduler.
NEW Counter Services – See service updates below. To contact Environmental Health staff for general inquiries, call 310-456-2489, ext. 390 and leave a message with your contact information. Additionally, you can email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Staff is checking and responding to messages throughout the day during regular business hours.
NEW - Payments
- E-Payment by Credit Card: For Environmental Health fees, email the following information to email@example.com and you will be provided instructions for online payments: Project Property Address, Permit or Plan Check Number(s), Fees Owed, Payee Information (First Name, Last Name, Address, and email address), Contact information for owner or contractor.
- Payment by Check – Mail check with City issued statement to: City of Malibu, c/o Environmental Health, 23825 Stuart Ranch Road, Malibu, CA 90265.
EH Review Submittal Procedures
There are two separate submittal procedures: Planning-stage reviews and Plan check stage reviews, including first submittal, resubmittal, revision, or addendums. Both procedures are described below and all submittals must include the following information:
- Project site legal address
- Planning case number (if assigned)
- Property Owner Information: first/last name, LLC or trust, address, phone number and email
- Applicant: first/last name, business name, phone number and email
- Payor for fees: first/last name, email address and phone number
- Description of project scope and list of submittal contents (document types and dates of issue):
- Onsite wastewater treatment systems (new/repair/alteration)
- Structural (include if piles &/or grade beams proposed)
- Civil, if applicable
- Stage of Review: Planning or Plan Check
- Type of submittal: First or re-submittal
- Indicate whether the project is a Woolsey Fire Rebuild.
After the Environmental Health review application has been processed, an invoice will be emailed to the payor for electronic payment. After payment, the active Planning or Plan Check application(s) will be emailed to the Applicant with directions to upload all required submittal documents.
NEW OWTS - Planning Stage Reviews:
- Offsite Review – Electronic: Email the requested information to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Plans and supporting design reports are referred by Planning to Environmental Health.
Plan Check Stage Environmental Health Reviews:
- Onsite Review – Physical: Contact Environmental Health at firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a date and time to drop off the plans.
Off-site Review –Electronic: Email the requested information to email@example.com
Plan Review Correction Pick-up
Onsite Review - Physical: Email staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate a date and time to pick up the plans.
Offsite Review - Electronic: Staff will notify Applicant by email of the following events:
- Conformance reviews completed or corrections (Planning-stage)
- Construction plan approval stamps or corrections (Plan Check stage)
Construction Permit Issuance for Approved Plans
Once construction plans are approved, Permit Services staff will coordinate permit issuance. See the Building Safety webpage for instructions.
OWTS Operating Permit Submittal
Application forms (inspection report, transfer of ownership, certificate of inspection) and fees for OWTS Operating Permits now can be submitted by mail or electronically.
- Submittal by Mail – Applicant may send the application forms with a check payable to City of Malibu to: City of Malibu, c/o Environmental Health, 23825 Stuart Ranch Road, Malibu, CA 90265.
- Electronic Submittal – Applicant may send the application forms by email to email@example.com. Staff will respond with electronic fee payment information.
After processing OWTS Operating Permit application(s) and any fees, staff will send an email to the Applicant.
City adopted 2019 LA County Plumbing Code, Chapter 18 of the Malibu Local Coastal Program/Local Implementation Plan, and Malibu Municipal Code Chapter 15.40 and 15.42.
- LA County Title 28, Plumbing Code
- Chapter 18 of the Malibu Local Coastal Program/Local Implementation Plan
- Malibu Municipal Code Chapter 15.40 and 15.42
- Malibu OWTS Manual