Film permits are required for any commercial production filming or still shoots within the Malibu city limits. Please note that filming is not allowed on Sundays under any circumstance.
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has prepared Protocols for Reopening of the entertainment sector, and published a Toolkit for Music, Television and Film Production that provides guidance to support safety for employees and the public. These protocols and guidances must be followed when filming in Malibu during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Film companies should call the Malibu Film Office at 805-495-7521 for all information related to permits and filming in Malibu.
- Malibu residents wishing to report violations or who need assistance with issues related to filming in their neighborhood may call 805-495-7521. (For after-hours assistance, call 805-732-9433.)
- Film Permitting Jurisdiction - Summary of when a film permit is required and contact information for permit issuing agencies
- Film Application and Permit - Permit application form for filming in the City of Malibu
- List of Solid Waste Haulers permitted to work within the city limits
- Fee Schedule - Filming - Adopted Fee Schedule for Filming Permits in current fiscal year
- Malibu Municipal Code Chapter 5.20 - Current City of Malibu ordinance related to motion pictures, television, and photographic productions (adopted February 28, 2005)
- California Film and Television Tax Credit Program - Established when Governor Brown signed AB 1839, the California Film and Television Job Retention and Promotion Act, on September 18, 2014