Wireless Communication Facility Ordinance Update
Updated 04/13/21 - The City is currently in the process of updating its Wireless Communication Facility Ordinance. On April 12, 2021, the City Council held a public hearing and amended the ordinance and resolution. The second reading of the ordinance will occur on April 26. To submit comments to the City Council, email CityCouncil@malibucity.org. For information on how to participate and view meetings, visit malibucity.org/virtualmeeting.
In 2016, the City Council directed staff to update the City of Malibu Wireless Communication Facility (WCF) Ordinances ("Ordinance"). The City’s WCF Ordinance is contained in Malibu Municipal Code (MMC) Chapter 17.46 and Local Coastal Program Local Implementation Plan Section 3.16. The Ordinance update attempts to address issues that residents, City staff, and wireless communications applicants have experienced during the process of proposing and siting new facilities, including existing facility upgrades throughout the City. City staff wishes to establish a transparent permitting process for WCFs and adopt other processing time rules. In addition, the code update is also necessary to bring the City’s Ordinance into compliance with federal and State laws that have been enacted since the adoption of its original ordinance in 2003.
A timeline of the project starting in November 2020 is provided in the Project Timeline (revised 4/13/21). For information regarding past meetings, visit the Community Meetings & Public Input section below.
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020, the City Council held a Special Meeting and adopted an Urgency Ordinance (Ord No. 477U), to regulate the permitting of wireless facilities in public rights-of-way and adopted a resolution to establish design and development standards and standard permit conditions for wireless facilities in public rights-of-way. For more information on the Urgency Ordinance, please review the agenda and staff report online and the City's final action.
Comments on the ordinance may be submitted to Adrian Fernandez via email at AFernandez@malibucity.org or mail to: City of Malibu Planning Department, Attn: Adrian Fernandez, 23825 Stuart Ranch Road, Malibu, CA 90265.
To be notified directly of important information regarding the WCF Ordinance Update, including public hearings and meetings, email the Planning Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 310-456-2489, ext. 245.
Community Meetings & Public Input
- City Council - April 26, 2021
- Second Reading of the Ordinance - coming soon!
- City Council - April 12, 2021
- Planning Commission - March 1, 2021
- Planning Commission - February 16, 2021
- Planning Commission - January 19, 2021
- Virtual Public Workshop - December 16, 2020 6 PM
- Special City Council Meeting - December 9, 2020 (Item 1A Urgency Ordinance); Ordinance No. 477U
- City Council September 29, 2020 (Item 6A City Advocacy Action Plan Options Agenda Report)
- City Council September 29, 2020 (Item 3B6 Amendment to Agreement with Telecom for Application Review Services)
- August 24, 2020 (Item 6A 5G Wireless Technology and Small Cells)
- City Council May 22, 2017 (Item 3B6 Approval of Agreement with Telecom to Prepare Ordinance)
- City Council November 28, 2016 (Item 3B5 Initiation of Code Amendment)