Wireless Communication Facility Ordinance Update
Updated 07/07/21 - On April 12, 2021, the City Council adopted Resolution No. 21-17, adopting engineering, design and location standards, conditions of approval and basic application requirements for wireless communication facilities on land other than public right-of-way. On April 26, 2021, the City Council adopted Ordinance No. 484, adopting a comprehensive overhaul of the City's Wireless Communication Facility Ordinance. The Ordinance goes into effect on May 26, 2021, with the exception of proposed amendments to the Local Coastal Program. The proposed amendments to the Local Coastal Program have been submitted to the California Coastal Commission (CCC) for certification. Staff is awaiting comments form the CCC.
In 2016, the City Council directed staff to update the City of Malibu Wireless Communication Facility (WCF) Ordinances ("Ordinance"). The City’s WCF Ordinance is contained in Malibu Municipal Code (MMC) Chapter 17.46 and Local Coastal Program Local Implementation Plan Section 3.16. The Ordinance update attempts to address issues that residents, City staff, and wireless communications applicants have experienced during the process of proposing and siting new facilities, including existing facility upgrades throughout the City. City staff wishes to establish a transparent permitting process for WCFs and adopt other processing time rules. In addition, the code update is also necessary to bring the City’s Ordinance into compliance with federal and State laws that have been enacted since the adoption of its original ordinance in 2003.
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020, the City Council held a Special Meeting and adopted an Urgency Ordinance (Ord No. 477U), to regulate the permitting of wireless facilities in public rights-of-way and adopted a resolution to establish design and development standards and standard permit conditions for wireless facilities in public rights-of-way. For more information on the Urgency Ordinance, please review the agenda and staff report online and the City's final action.
Community Meetings & Public Input
- City Council - April 26, 2021
- City Council - April 12, 2021
- Planning Commission - March 1, 2021
- Planning Commission - February 16, 2021
- Planning Commission - January 19, 2021
- Virtual Public Workshop - December 16, 2020 6 PM
- Special City Council Meeting - December 9, 2020 (Item 1A Urgency Ordinance); Ordinance No. 477U
- City Council September 29, 2020 (Item 6A City Advocacy Action Plan Options Agenda Report)
- City Council September 29, 2020 (Item 3B6 Amendment to Agreement with Telecom for Application Review Services)
- August 24, 2020 (Item 6A 5G Wireless Technology and Small Cells)
- City Council May 22, 2017 (Item 3B6 Approval of Agreement with Telecom to Prepare Ordinance)
- City Council November 28, 2016 (Item 3B5 Initiation of Code Amendment)
- Request for Proposals for an Administrative Hearing Officer
- Request for Proposals for WCF Application Reviews
- Application Submittal Guides / Forms