The Environmental Sustainability Department public counter is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM. Alternatively, questions can be answered by sending an email to Building Safety staff at: Mbuilding@malibucity.org. Reference the property address. Questions that can be answered via email include:
- Submittal requirements and associated fees
- Preliminary permit inquiries
- Building code questions
IN-PERSON (AT CITY HALL): MONDAY THRU Friday, 8:00 AM TO 12:00 PM
Submit permit requests through the online portal https://Malibucity.org/bpapplication. Regardless of whether you complete this process online or in-person, you will be asked to fill out an application prior to seeing a Permit Technician. The Applicant must bring the required documents.
- Obtain a Permit: Two approved sets of plans, energy report/calculations, structural design calculations, foundation feasibility report (if applicable), Contractor license information, fees
Express Plan Review for Tenant Improvements
Express Tenant Improvement Plan Check appointments are available on Wednesdays only. Appointments will be conducted at City Hall. After your appointment request is approved, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions for the appointment.
The appointment will be cancelled if Applicant is more than 10 minutes late. The appointment will be cancelled if Applicant fails to bring any of the required documents:
- Plan Check Submittal Review: One set of Architectural and Structural Drawings (prior to electronic submittal)
- View the Express Plan Review Process for details.