Go To Search
Click to Home

Temporary Use Permits
Events on Non-Residential Properties
Temporary Use Permit (TUP) is intended to allow for the short-term placement of activities, many of which would be prohibited on a permanent basis (MMC Section 17.68.010).

Not all special events require the issuance of a TUP. You will need a TUP if your activity involves any of the following:
  • Admission fee
  • Rental of a facility (e.g., the rental of a facility to hold a wedding or other event)
  • Charging guests for valet parking or shuttle service
  • Advertised events / fundraisers
  • Events that take place outside of a business' building or outside the normal service area of a restaurant

You may also need a TUP for an event that includes the use of other parcels not owned by the TUP applicant.

Number of TUPs Allowed
A maximum of six events per parcel per calendar year in non-residential zones.

When to Submit Your Application
Applications for events that do not require a Coastal Development Permit (CDP) must be submitted a minimum of 40 days prior to the event date. If an event requires a CDP, the application must be submitted a minimum of 90 days prior to the event. Generally, an event will need a CDP if it takes place between Memorial Day and Labor Day and will last more than one day from set-up to clean-up.

An appointment is required to submit your application package. Call 310-456-2489, ext. 485 to schedule an appointment.

Contact Us
Fletcher Allen
Planning Technician
Ph: 310-456-2489, ext. 233

23825 Stuart Ranch Road
Malibu, CA 90265

Planning Department FacebookPlanning Department Twitter

Counter Hours
7:30 AM - 5:30 PM

7:30 AM - 4:30 PM

City of Malibu